One of my biggest dreams is to have a "Martha Stewart" craft room. She is honestly one of my biggest idols. I love her, and creating!
Today I went to visit my aunt Valorie to learn how to quilt. I like to think that I'm crafty. I learn things quickly and this is one thing I have always wanted to try. I dabble in a bit of everything, haha. We started very simple and basic and made this beautiful quilt for my daughter. It is soft purple on one side, fleece butterfly pattern on the other, and with a rainbow binding. It's quite beautiful. My aunt did most of the work, I really wanted to watch one made all the way through. I'm proud to say that I learn well that way. Usually if I am shown something once I can do it on my own the next time. I am already brainstorming colors for my first one! The technique she showed me is so simple. I am planning to make three quilts this way and then I will move onto something a little more advanced :)
Before we started on the quilt I showed Valorie how to make my coffee filter peonies that I made for Madison's first birthday. We used them at my sisters baby shower yesterday as well. I really love getting together with friends and family to craft. I love teaching people what I know and learning new things from the ones I love. I really hope that I pass on my love of making hand made treasures to Madison. Or at least one of my future children! I feel like it's a dying art. Not many people quilt or knit or sew these days. I positively feel its an important skill to have. And I can't even begin to express how rewarding it is to make something useful with your own two hands. I don't know about everyone else, but I ABSOLUTELY love getting hand made gifts. I wish I had the time and money to make all my gifts.
Lou Reed died today. What a sad, sad day in music. And history in general. He was an icon for sure and will be immortalized in his music. RIP <3
No comments:
Post a Comment